Thursday 3 July 2008

SOYA GOOD

Let me introduce you to my latest obsession: the edamame bean. In short, baby soya beans (I know, I know, Victoria Beckham eats them by the bucket load and she credits them with keeping her teeny tiny etc etc etc. Frankly I don't give a monkeys what VB deigns to eat - and if this is all she's eating that might explain why she always looks so bloody miserable - ridiculous woman. Ok, I'm glad we've got that out of the way.)

Yes, edamame are marvellous.

And they're a bit of a wonder food by all accounts too. Rich in fibre, they can help prevent mood fluctuations by keeping blood-sugar levels steady. They are also a great source of protein, which further helps stabilize blood sugar; and omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to combat depression. And they contain a high source of vitamin A, vitamin B and calcium to boot.

Add to this that they're tasty and filling and they've ticked all the boxes. Cooked in their shell, they're most often served salted, leaving you to just pop the wee beans out of their shells into your mouth for a tasty snack. However I found them in a recent trip to the supermarket, frozen and ready shelled. Very handy for a quick tomato and edamame salad with petits pois and fresh mint.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails